Monday, November 30, 2009

The food at RPA


I thought it was time I posted about the food at RPA. I am up to week 4 here and now 27weeks pregnant (today).

I have tried to tolerate the food as much as possible for the first few weeks. But last week I snapped. I have been lucky enough people have been making me food. A big thanks to Kirby, Sam, Debbie, Will and soon to be Joey. I am looking forward to Joey's meatballs.

Sam made me Pho, which we put in the fridge clearly labeled with my name and some jerk ate it. A few days later I had a vitamin water in the fridge, once again clearly labeled, and some jerk drank this. You may wonder what I am going to do about this. Simple, I am going to put a 'Vitamin Water' in the fridge which is filled with water and food colouring and some small holes around the lid.

I was in the kitchen/tea room this morning and a lady was going through the fridge, she asked me what the deal was with it. I said you are 'meant' to bring in your own food and hope that no one eats it. She told me that her food has gone missing and someone has pinched her coke that was open and she had been drinking about. I offered her some of my bread from my room, but she didn't want any.

The meals here:
Breakfast: Breakfast usually consists of, hot water, a 110ml oj, cereal, a piece of fruit, cold toast or a bread roll and either; one dried out pancake, baked beans or processed scrambled eggs, sometimes with a rasher of bacon.

I noticed after eating the breakfast for a few days my face started to dry out and get really itchy. The only new thing I was eating was the processed scrambled eggs and the cup of tea. So once i stopped with both the itching went away and my face texture is returning to normal.

Lunch: Lunch usually consists of some sort of meal, a piece of fruit, a 110ml apple juice, a slice of bread and yoghurt. You are usually given a choice of two meals, the meal is not very big and usually not very nice. Sometimes you can get a sandwich, which is half filled with filling. But don't ask the service ladies what is on the sandwich when they ask you what meal you want, because if you ask, you are given the one you ask about.

Dinner: Dinner usually consists of a main meal (a choice between two), a desert of some sort, a cup of hot water, a slice of bread, soup (that smells like baby food, but tastes very sweet), and a main plate of food.

Snacks: The snack lady/man comes at 10am, 3pm and 7pm every single day. You have a choice of tea, coffee, water or cordial to drink. But never ask for two drinks. They also give you yoghurt during the day and cheese and cracker during the everning.

I have mentioned that I am given a choice of main meals, what I forgot to mention is that if you are near the end of distribution. But if you get a nice lady or man, they will go and find you the other meal if thats what you really want.

I learnt a valuable lesson the other day. After being here for three weeks already and never faced an issue with this before and didn't see the big problem. I like to use the table to put my laptop on. If I use the laptop on my lap, it gets really hot. So when I finish my meal I put the tray on my chair. The chair is not low, I never put the tray on the floor. Anyways the food service lady had a minor hissy fit at me for putting it on the chair and told me I was 'not allowed to'. So now I sit around a dirty tray waiting for them not to collect it in case cranky lady comes back.

I am sick of talking about the crappy food here. Ava will be here in two hours so I need to make sure I am ready for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment